Sunday, April 25, 2004

APRIL 25, 2004 (SUNDAY)

Trip to Tagaytay



And no, this has nothing to do with Arnold Arre.

Went to Tagaytay this weekend with friends – it was our celebration of Caren’s 21st birthday, which isn’t until May 4, but still. It was great staying at her relatives’ summer house (the same place where we stayed at last December), just the eight of us, and in between eating and pseudo-studying (since only Aster and I managed to get our work done; she had brought Pao’s laptop with her, much to the detriment of those who were tinkering around with his files) and singing videoke at the top of our lungs, I think we managed to fill in the gaps of in lives pretty well. Stories and anecdotes were traded, some personal *gasp!* secrets were revealed, and a lot of film was spent taking pictures. The soundtrack for the weekend was Maroon 5’s “Songs About Jane,” which was pretty apt for my situation right now.

Also learned how Nescafe Ice gets made, and the potency of cappuccino cheesecake from Josephine’s, and how to play go (pronounced as “goh”); Caren had bought a Hikaru no Go go starter set from CCHQ and insisted that it be our collective group gift to her, and we spent the whole weekend attempting to decipher the instructional manual. My paltry lessons from Monica were all but forgotten, and I think by this time, the go maniacs – Caren and RC – are now online searching for the English instructions on how to play the game. I think we made up our own rules over the weekend, which won’t be much good when we go against the real players. They watched episodes of Naruto and My Sassy Girl; I wasn’t much for TV, preferring instead the intimacy of talking at the porch, with Tanya blowing bubbles into the oblivion of the starry sky.

Nothing spectacular, really, if you think about it.

But it was something we all needed: to just get away from the city, and from school, and from all our problems and issues and angst about family and friends and the people we love. It’s amazing how much clarity one can get from people who know you, especially when your talk gets you late into the night and extends until the morning.

These are the times I won’t exchange for anything else in the world.

Countdown to Dumaguete

I finally have my plane ticket. Riding Cebu Pacific. I leave May 2, 12.40 in the afternoon.

I have this tingly feeling in my stomach.

I have to go to the mall to buy my toiletries and sundries. I want a nice soundtrack to my last workshop experience – a poet once told me that music defines travel, and I’d definitely agree. I have to buy new ballpens. And I have to wrap up my responsibilities at school before I leave. I still have a report on Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex tomorrow for Lit class.

But still. I can’t help but feel anticipatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.