Saturday, June 12, 2004

JUNE 12, 2004 (SATURDAY)

GGloomy
AAstonishing
BBusy
BBeautiful
YYoung
EExhausting
LLoving
AAmorous

Name / Username:


Name Acronym Generator
From Go-Quiz.com

On Writing

When I was in fourth year high school, I finally decided to shelve the idea of becoming a forensic pathologist - I was enamored with Dana Scully of The X-Files during this time - because I didn't want to spend all those long years studying and burying my head in books. And so I turned to my "hobby": writing, and figured that if I was going to be a poor writer, I might as well be smart about it. I mean, God knows I wouldn't be able to marry rich, and so I figured that I would just beef up my resume so that when I graduate from college, I wouldn't have that much difficulty finding a job.

And so I find it rather strange that such simple ideas have a tendency to blow itself out of proportions. Never in a million years would I have known that I'd be in a position where I would actually be asked to be a contributing writer for a magazine. It was a nice feeling to be walking down Pasong Tamo with a friend of mine (and her boyfriend - yes, I am back to being the dakilang third wheel again) and going to the said magazine's office. I find that I am more excited about this project that the others that I've worked with. Maybe it's the fact that they're all twentysomethings, or that the aim of the magazine isn't all hoity-toity and literati. At any rate, after talking with the editor(s), I'm most excited about the calling cards and the press pass. ^_^ Oh, and I have to submit an article pitch by Tuesday - let's see how this goes.

The Ladykillers

Because the meeting with my editors ended by lunchtime, we decided to haul our arses off to Megamall. And because I knew that all couples needed some time alone together, I said my goodbyes and wandered around the mall for some time, looking for a romantic comedy to pass away the time. Ended up with the Coen Brothers' remake of The Ladykillers with Tom Hanks playing the role of the Professor.

At first I thought that I'd probably doze off. I wasn't quite familiar with the director's style - I wasn't able to watch O Brother... and so the rather sparse and iconic treatment of the movie made me wonder what the hell I was watching. But you get caught up in this bumbling escapade that pokes fun at the whole bank robbery action movie genre. There were no loud explosions or fireballs that fill up the screen; no blood and gore and prosthetics - only Tom Hanks in a funny Southern accent, and reciting Edgar Allan Poe to a bunch of old black ladies who have absolutely no idea what he was saying. ^_^ And the ending was just so hilarious and so witty that I couldn't help but come out of the theatre with a big grin on my face.

I like watching the people in the moviehouse - well, as long as the creepy old men aren't sitting next to me and I have to keep my hands to myself and my bag squished somewhere around the vicinity of my body so that it wouldn't get stolen.

Anyway, watching people: there are the young couples, of course, cuddled together (aw...) and then the groups of friends with their buckets of popcorn all chattering away and giving away plot points - in other words, it looks as though they've seen the movie already. ^_^ Then there are the families, with the kids in denim jackets and the little girls in ponytails and dangling plastic jewelry. But what really piques my curiosity are the people who, like me, watch the movie alone.

I'd like to wonder about the reasons why they're watching the film alone. Is it because they don't like company when watching these stories unfold onscreen? Are they trying to forget their problems? Are they heartbroken? Did they spend their first paycheck on this movie? Were they stood up by their dates? So many questions. What are the preconditions for people to watch a movie alone? Should we put up a group of solitary moviewatchers so that at least we'd have company every time a new film comes out?

Would you watch a movie alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.