Wednesday, August 18, 2004

AUGUST 18, 2004 (WEDNESDAY)

Currently taking a break from thesis writing. Find myself stuck in a rut - I know where I'm going, but connecting one idea to the other is something that I still find myself struggling with. I was never really good with writing long texts; it's always easier for me to cut everything up into manageable pieces and chew on everything slowly. Plus, I think I have to expound on my core ideas because it certainly isn't working that I give just one sentence here and another sentence there and then expect my readers to get the implicit messages.

At any rate, you might want to check this article out: How Sweet Valley Ruined My Life. And yes, I used to read them - particularly in grade school. I think most girls went through the series - whether it was Kids, Teens, High, or University - and identified with either Jessica or Elizabeth. Maybe that was why we all grew up with this kind of picture of suburban America, where everyone was at least 5'6", blonde and blue-eyed, a perfect size 6 and wore the latest fashion trends. It's funny realizing that even Americans themselves had a hard time identifying with these teenage role models, and yet there's something strangely appealing about the Wakfield twins - think the Mexican telenovela or Claudine Barretto's shows.

*sigh* Pop culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.