Wednesday, August 18, 2004

AUGUST 18, 2004 (WEDNESDAY)

I miss him. Sometimes. During the most inopportune moments. I should stop. This is getting pathetic already.

Round Here
The Counting Crows

Step out the front door like a ghost into the fog
Where no one notices the contrast of white on white
And in between the moon and you the angels get a better view
Of the crumbling difference between wrong and right

I walk in the air between the rain through myself and back again
Where? I don’t know
Maria says she’s dying through the door I hear her crying
Why? I don’t know

Round here we always stand up straight
Round here something radiates

Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand
She said she’d like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis
She walks along the edge of where the ocean meets the land
Just like she’s walking on a wire in the circus

She parks her car outside of my house
Takes her clothes off
Says she’s close to understanding Jesus
She knows she’s more than just a little misunderstood
She has trouble acting normal when she’s nervous

Round here we’re carving out our names
Round here we all look the same
Round here we talk just like lions
But we sacrifice like lambs
Round here, look, she’s slipping through my hands

Sleeping children better run like the wind
Out of the lightning dream
Mama’s little baby better get herself in
Out of the lightning

She says it’s only in my head
She says shhh I know it’s only in my head
But this girl on car in the parking lot says
"Man you should try to take a shot
Can’t you see my walls are crumbling?"

Then she looks up at the building and says she’s thinking of jumping
She says I'm sick and tired of life
Well everybody's tired of something

Round here she’s always on my mind
Round here I've got a lot of time
Round here we’re never sent to bed early
And nobody makes us wait
Round here we stay up very, very, very, very late

I can’t see nothing, nothing round here
Would you catch me if I’m falling
Would you kiss me when I'm leaving
Would you hold me 'cos I'm lonely...without you.

The Story So Far

I'm five pages into my thesis. Not bad for a minumim of 20 - and I've only finished with the introduction. Perhaps I'm too verbose for my own good. I'm trying to write lightly here, with lots of humor and examples so that the reader won't get bored. Of course, it's only a pseudo-critical paper, so I have more freedom. Still, it's nice to have started writing it. It makes me feel as though I'm finally taking a step closer towards graduation.

Speaking of which, I was with a bunch of friends earlier while they were having their graduation pictures taken. We got Redfox Studios - the same as CSSP - and chatted up the director of the place, a guy named Derick. It was pretty interesting, and it was fun running around fixing up costumes and the sablay and the togas and everyone's hair and make-up and offering your opinion when it was asked for. ^_^ It's nice to have that feeling that everything's starting to come to a close, and that you go through the motions - next project of mine of course is the college yearbook, and hopefully we'll manage to get one out. Big big historical thing if we do, actually - it's been ages since CAL came out with its own yearbook. That says something about the students, hehe.

GRAIL is also becoming very docile and moving along smoothly. Induction on the afternoon of the 19th at Moki's place (the fertility bank?). *insert evil laughter here* And then we have spring cleaning today and ACLE and the org fair and everything seems to be moving along well. ^_^ I love my org. *huggles GRAIL tightly*

Actually had a good dinner with them at TOSH the other night, after the rainy rainy general assembly. For once, boys outnumbered girls - myself, Zena, and Meia with Ruben, Moki, Don (of the man-legs) and Leon. I missed hanging out with people like these, where the conversation can move from snorting spaghetti up your nose to genetically modified chickens to Star Trek *sigh* and then you end up in a car with four other Trekkies all pretending to zap other vehicles with photon beams is disturbing enough as it is. And yes, we must get Leon a purple feather boa.

I need to date again soon. Just to distract myself. Going to the mall alone and watching a movie all by myself is getting to be a lonely business.

Hey Comics People, Listen Up!

(My congratulations, by the way, to the Siglo people, who won the National Book Award!)

A couple of friends of mine are putting up a website called Paneled Pinoy, which aims to become a be-all, end-all compedium of online comics resources - including links, reviews, and essays on and about comics. It's just starting out, but if you have any essays/rants/raves on any comics or comics-related topics that you might want to contribute to the website, it will be most welcome. ^_^

Email all contributions to hobbitmistress@yahoo.com.

Gastronomy

Oh, and The Doreen Gamboa Fernandez food writing contest is now accepting entries. Entries should be in English, not more than 800 words. Deadline is August 27. Call 890-9666 for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.