Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bookfair Buys

Another Bookfair almost over, another Bookfair that ate up what could have been my savings. As usual, no regrets, no apologies. The price of being a bibliophile is having an almost-heart attack when you walk into a place like the Manila World Trade Center along Roxas Boulevard and see the wall-to-wall shelves overflowing with books. We spent a happy day there yesterday, and it was great to actually have a place like CCHQ resurrected for at least a few days, and seeing Ate Kat and Atsi Tin going into bookseller modes (which I realized that I missed). Johann was also there, attempting to help by trying to convince people to buy from CCHQ. Emphasis on the word "trying." Of course, we also saw a lot of people - you can't exist in a vacuum if you're a hardcore bibliophile. I went there with Hiyas, Abbi, and Earl. Ruzela followed later that afternoon.

We also ran into Elbert and Camy in the Adarna Books section. Elbert was still limping from his "sports-related injury", but seemed to be healthy enough to spend for books (can I borrow Y: The Last Man after you're done?) and to talk to a bunch of STC students at the Anvil booth. Of course, the Alfars were also there - Dean, Nikki, and Andrew - and Hiyas ducked behind me as soon as we saw Dean, but to no avail. Also had a good chat with Mabi David of UP Press, when we ran into each other at A Different Bookstore. During the afternoon, my cousin Mawsi was also there with Pam and Ela. The food prices there were astronomical (Php25 for a friggin' bottle of water?) so we just had coffee, which was cheaper, before heading off to our other appointments.

Anyway, my purchases rang up to a little under Php2,000 pesos, but I carted them away happily, knowing that I will starve for the next week in order to make up for them. And I bought:

The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl. Elbert's recommendation, since I was looking for a good thick novel I can sink my teeth into. It sounds promising, since it deals with Dante's Inferno and serial murderers, and with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow as the protagonist, it's bound to be interesting.

Toujours Provence - Peter Mayle. I've already read A Year in Provence and I loved it to bits and pieces, and the sequel seems to be equally great as well. Unfortunately, the copy of the first book was merely loaned to me, so now I must get my own copy.

The Wall of the Sky, The Wall of the Eye - Jonathan Lethem. This is his short story collection, which I figured is a better introduction into his work rather than reading his novels first. They have this creepy, visceral feel about them, ready to grab my guts at the slightest hint of fear.

Transgressions - Sarah Dunant. I loved her first novel, The Birth of Venus, and this one seems to be as interesting as that one. I love the way Dunant crafts her female characters, and steeps them into the world she is creating.

The Disappearing Body - David Grant. Because I can't resist a good thriller novel.

The Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot. Because I'm a princess at heart. And the Disney movie with Anne Hathaway happens to be one of my guilty pleasures. ^_^

Schott's Original Miscellany - Ben Schott. Mabi recommended this to me, and it's just a book filled with interesting and useless trivia that I figured I can use in stories or in conversation. Hehe.

Ang Binibining Tumalo sa Mahal na Hari - retold by Christine Bellen, illustrated by Elbert Or and Ang Parusa ng Dwende - retold by Christine Bellen, illustrated by Elbert Or. Take a wild guess why I bought them. A shot in the dark. C'mon, I know you can do it. ^_^

Le sigh. Books! Now I have to fix my shelves again. My books are taking over our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.