Friday, October 21, 2005

Different Hats

Life has become intriguing as you discover a delightful variety of people and activities that stimulate and entertain you. Romantic energies are beginning to stir. Even a passing conversation can take on an erotic air. There is, however, still work to do at home. Family matters are long-term projects for your psyche. Keep hope alive and remember that rewards are just around the corner.

- Horoscope for Aquarius yesterday, October 20, 2005


Despite the fact that I am sick and functioned only with three hours of sleep, a strong shot of caffeine, and adrenaline during my first work day, I enjoyed myself immensely. I played the role of the Production Assistant for a photo shoot for one of our clients, which meant that I had a 7 AM call time and a lot of running around to do.

A large part of the learning experience today had something to do with managing your time efficiently and doing your tasks well, even if it's just running errands and fetching people and buying food and other materials. It means anticipating what your art director wants, and being able to clarify when something's unclear. It means observing how people interact with each other, and at the end of the day, sitting down and asking questions about things that you weren't quite clear about.

I'm just tickled pink with the idea of learning again, of absorbing experiences that I would never have had otherwise if I stayed with my old job; of knowing that I am being guided as I go along, of being the student again. I'm learning a craft that isn't part of my formal education but at the same time is just fascinating and interesting and exciting - knowing that in the end, I am being trained in order to take over the position of the art director as well. And that is just one of the many hats I have to wear in my current function. Even my writing will have to be honed towards a more corporate tone, and I'm also looking forward to learning that.

What really stuck to my head today is the fact that it's all about respect: how you treat your clients and the people you work with is pretty much the same way that they will treat you. Observing my boss in action, I realized that it does take A LOT of hard work and perseverance and attention to detail and knowledge of other disciplines in order to capture that perfect shot, and that in order to reach that point, you have to deal with a lot of people who will contribute SOMETHING to the final photograph.

It's also nice to be busy again, to be constantly on your feet, to be moving around. While this won't be happening everyday, it's nice to know that I have the opportunity to interact with more people, and to meet different kinds of individuals who, for better or worse, will be able to teach me something, or impart some sort of wisdom. And I love the fact that at the end of the day, my boss sat down with me and talked about the entire experience, clarifying and adding to the experience, to the way that the business works, to how we affect other people and vice versa. It gives you a wider view of the world, I suppose.

I just wish that I didn't have this blasted cough right now - it makes moving much harder, because I run out of breath quickly, and my throat feels like it's on fire. What a great time to get sick: just when you need your health the most. O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.