Friday, November 04, 2005

Musings and New Things

I swear, the government should have just declared Wednesday and Thursday as holidays as well. It really disrupted a lot of people's much-needed vacations. I know I needed them - but it's all right. It's just I now have a roaring case of asthma - I've never had anything this bad since back in high school, when I had to borrow my aunt's Nebulizer in order to be able to breathe properly. And it's not like the weekend is being kind to me - I have a pile of papers and readings to go through, and writing, yes writing, in order to earn a living.

Whoever said you can't make a living being a writer is sadly mistaken.

However, it's not EASY making a living as a writer.

Anyway, this nice thing about this three-day weekend is the fact that I can also settle down and go through some new books and CDs. A lot of them are lent to me, as is the case with Lorrie Moore's Self-Help, her debut collection of short stories. I'm also almost done with Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated and I'm eyeing his newest novel, which is still in hardcover. There's also Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down, also in hardcover, which is part of my literary wishlist. Elbert has kindly promised to get me Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys for Christmas so I can cross it off before the year ends. But right now I'm plowing through Jonathan Lethem's collection of short stories, The Wall of the Sky, The Wall of the Eye which is actually just mindblowingly brilliant and I just can't believe how amazing he is, and maybe I ought to pick up Fortress of Solitude as soon as I have enough ready cash. I still owe Jasper for reserving Vertigo:Visions and Philip K. Dick's The Minority Report and other short stories for me.

Music-wise, I'm going through another OPM fix courtesy of Soapdish and Spongecola. Unfortunately, a guilty pleasure of mine right now is that lyrically-inept song, "Gemini," by Spongecola, which is off their album Palabas. But then again, Spongecola IS a guilty pleasure. ^_^ Soapdish is another new band that is making their debut via their first single, "Ewan Ko," which is one of those fun, pop-alt tracks that just makes you want to bop your head. However, what I really enjoy right now is "Tensionado" and "Sandali." Their Filipino songs are also crafted better than their English songs, which I like. New selections, thanks to kind people who lend me CDs, include the Mr. & Mrs. Smith soundtrack, and Craig David's The Story Goes.... I've yet to listen to them, though.

Oh, and speaking of OPM, check out Los Chupacabras' next gig at Mayric's on November 12 (info via Carl). I swear, you guys need a website soon. Or a mailing list, at the very least. ^_^

NaNoWriMo-wise, I've managed to churn out my first couple of hundred words. It's like writing blindly, because I have no idea where this story is going. But it's sort of slowly forming in my head. And that's always a good thing.

Anyway, I hope this weekend will fare better, and that I get to finish EVERYTHING that I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.