Thursday, February 16, 2006

Vacation Mode

Summer is just around the corner, and I wish I was going somewhere, anywhere, a trip out of town that resembles a vacation in the truest sense of the word: I already have a standing invitation to Dumaguete, and my boy and I are planning to go on a road trip one of these days - April, perhaps, or May - just climb on a bus and go on a trip to wherever (a beach, preferably, or somewhere North): something cheap(er) and adventure-y, exploring a new place by ourselves.

I think I've been around the country pretty much, though I've never been to most of the islands in the Visayas. I've yet to visit Bacolod and Iloilo, and believe it or not, I've never even been to Cebu. Most provinces blur in my mind: a rush of green and brown, mountains and fields forever interchangeable. I remember Bohol, though, which we visited for a week during the Dumaguete workshop: the rickety bus that floundered across the province as we went from Tagbilaran, where we were staying in an inn made of stilts, to Carmen, where the Chocolate Hills were located. I remember the tall, almost stifling cogon grass that grew higher than our heads, the dark hardwood forest, the sanctuary of the Bohol Bee Farm. I remember Sonya's Garden in Tagaytay - the flowers that bobbed and flickered in the twilight, and the butterflies that flew in small clouds across the grass, the little houses with narrow stairways and soft lights. I remember sunsets in Batangas, where we would climb across empty lots, where the lands abruptly ended in a dip towards the sea, the island we called our own. Last year, summer, my friends and I lived in a small cottage in Batangas for a couple of days, just by the beach, and then a couple of weeks later I was off to Davao to visit a city close to my heart. (Weirdly enough, it was raining horribly when I got there, and most of my friends had already left for other places. Talk about wrong timing.)

This year, I still want to go somewhere, escape the oppressive air of the city, somewhere where life is simpler and quieter, in the company of a few people. I wish I could visit Baguio or La Union, or go to an unnamed beach and watch the sun go down, like on so many occassions, spreading liquid light across the ocean. But...ah well. Let's see. If the pockets and the bosses are willing. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.