Monday, March 06, 2006

Movie Talk

This year has perhaps been on of those years where I haven't been quite interested in the Oscars - perhaps it's because I barely have time to watch the movies, or because the nominated films were barely promoted or recognized in the Philippines this year. I managed to catch Walk The Line, Syriana, and Pride and Prejudice on the big screen this year, and while Memoirs of a Geisha is languishing in our DVD box because I refuse to watch it, I'm still interested in catching Capote, Transamerica, and Good Night, and Good Luck if they ever make it to the theatres. But then, knowing the two-faced standards of the movie industry, I'd be surprised if these films actually make it to the malls, and stay there for more than a couple of days. Even Best Picture winner Crash didn't even last three days here in Manila, and barely made a splash (although I believe the Lifestyle Network on cable is airing it sometime this week).

And yes, I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I'm not even sure if I'm interested anymore.

Out of the three films that I saw, I think I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice the most - British humor always make me grin in delight, and the landscapes that were painstakingly shot by cinematographer Roman Osin just immersed you into the 18th century English countryside, full of Catherine-and-Heathcliff moors and mists. And even though I am not a fan of Jane Austen, having found her novels tedious, I still admire the way she crafted her female characters. Still, I think I admired the narrative more for the acting of the principals rather than the literary work it was based upon. Syriana comes a close second, but then Stephen Gaghan is just brilliant at multiple, almost non-sequitur storylines that effortlessly weave back and forth until the ending just smashes you against a brick wall (or in this case, the steel hull of an oil tanker) and leaves you wanting more than a quietly closed, anti-climactic, door.

Argh. I must get back to writing. I just need a couple of days - quiet, solid days to get my act together and have a rough draft. Oh, for the luxury of school and the academe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.