Sunday, April 09, 2006

Nutshelling

It's quite irritating when one steps out of the house and is immediately assaulted with a wave of brain-melting heat. The true sign that summer has arrived: the weather is almost palpable, a shimmering vista that makes one immediately dream of the beach or the cooler climes of the mountains. We city people are at the mercy of the pollution and the almost unbearable weather during these months, which is why I'm expecting almost-empty streets once Holy Week arrives. Thankfully, it looks like we'll be having a vacation once Wednesday rolls along, which I'm thankful for, since my bank account has been steadily depleting ever since I started working here. O_o And with the lack of freelance opportunities, I'm afraid that it's time to tighten belts and simply try and squeeze a wee bit more from my meagre writer's salary just to make ends meet.

I'm planning to stay at home and simly gorge myself on movies that I want to watch again (Sideways, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Serenity) and movies I haven't seen yet (Crash, Mrs. Henderson Presents, Brokeback Mountain, The Thief Lord), as well as going through the mounds of anthologies I have yet to finish, and seriously concentrating on the stories that I have been placing on the backburner due to laziness and lack of time. I really have to shapen up with my creative duties, which I have been neglecting for the past couple of months. As my dad says, "Binili ko yang laptop na yan para magsulat ka." Still, there are some things that are slowly taking shape, and I just really have to commit to finishing them even when I feel awfully lazy or would just prefer to play The Sims 2.

Speaking of The Sims 2, I really have to get a copy for Leandro because nowadays, the only reason I use the desktop PC is to play and sometimes, it would just be really cool to have a copy here with me. ^_^ But that's just wishful thinking. Mac is such an expensive brand that I resort to borrowing software and downloading freeware when I can because I simply cannot afford the original stuff on my own. I mean, a slipcase for Leandro at the nearest PowerMac store costs something like Php2,500! (Which is why I use a nice plastic bag and thankfully, most of my bags are big enough to slip Leandro inside without much trouble.) I never thought that when I got my laptop as a gift, it would bring an entirely new definition to the word 'expensive." Still, I'm not complaining. It's a sleek, sexy machine, and I am loving it to bits and pieces. If not for anything else, I can watch films late into the night in the comfort of my bed. ^_^

And then...the official countdown for the NUS results can already begin - it's making me quite nervous, knowing that in less than a month, my future will be essentially decided by a letter. I'm trying not to put too much stock into it, knowing that there's a 50/50 chance of not being accepted, but there's also a rising excitement in me, knowing that what I wanted to do with my life is finally going to begin there. Still, I don't want to think too much about it - live in the here and now, and just hope for the best, really.

Hm. So there. Life in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.