Sunday, May 07, 2006

Connection

Yesterday, after a delicious meal at a small Italian restaurant along Jupiter Street and a lovely haircut at Franck Provost (thanks, in no small part, to big sister Ginny, I ended up with another prospective freelance gig. It's strange how these things go: for the first few months of the year, I was pretty desperate, looking for something to tide me over, particularly since maintaining a relationship is pretty expensive. Now, with only myself to spend for, all of these jobs are simply popping all over the place. ^_^ It's quite a nice feeling - I just hope that I can manage to juggle my time. Thankfully, they're all aware that I can only allot time for them during weekends, so let's see how that works out.

*

Ended up plowing through Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game today, and before that, watched Elizabethtown and The Squid and The Whale - dunno why it's only now that I'm finding the time to suddenly immerse myself into these things - maybe today was the only day I didn't have to wake up at 4 in the morning just to write.

Ender's Game was quite brilliant for a science fiction novel written in the 1970s. A lot of what Card imagined back then was pretty much sci-fi staples already, but the way it was presented, and the way the characters were created were simply mind-blowing. I loved the subtle politics that ran throughout the novel, and the way each move was as precise as a game of chess. (Although, Hiyas, I fail to see the yaoi connotations in the novel - incest, perhaps, between Ender and Valentine - but yaoi?) I'd like to look for a copy of my own - the poor paperback I have right now isn't exactly mine - as well as hunt down the sequel. ^_^

As for the movies, I loved both of them - although Elizabethtown was more saccharine and feel-good than TS&TW. But both were powerful in their own right: although I loved the soundtrack of Elizabethtown (obviously, it's a Cameron Crowe film) and the way the entire narrative was presented, TS&TW had a stronger sense of human relations, of the way two people who aren't in love anymore try to deal with the situation. Plus, I like the way Noel Baumbach directed the entire thing: I suppose it was with a handheld, hence the jerky, homemade feel to the entire film, as if we were merely prying into these people's lives. ^_^

It's nice to be able to watch films where I don't have to explain what's going on, where you can just sink into the story, find the connections, and think. ^_^ Now, to find a copy of Garden State.

PS. Ayan, Ginny, pinalitan ko na. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.