Friday, May 26, 2006

In The Beginning...

Off to Baguio this weekend - this is going to be exciting. A couple of firsts here: the first time I'm going to see the Danshaus again after almost 10 years, first time to go to Baguio with both my family and friends (good luck on how to balance that particular thing), first time to travel to the mountains at midnight. I'm looking forward to spending some time with friends, maybe getting to do a bit of shopping, visit the Cafe by the Ruins, and perhaps (just perhaps) get to to a bit of writing. But then I've been telling myself that for ages, and it seems that nothing can be done about it. There's simply no time.

-----

Watched X-Men: The Last Stand last night at Greenhills Promenade with Ginny, and quite frankly, I wasn't as impressed with the so-called "last" X-Men movie as with the first two Bryan Singer-helmed films. I suppose it was mainly because everyone was reduced to caricatures of their characters because the storyline simply branched off into too many directions and the audience will have difficulty in following everything. It's like the movie wanted to tackle too many issues all at the same time and ended up failing miserably. Plus, I wasn't quite comfortable with the entire Wolverine-Jean Grey love angle, and the Beast-Storm (they're together now, right, but Beast died in the Ultimate X-Men run...or something like that) angle was only hinted at. And I missed Nightcrawler! *sigh* But I'm glad Kitty Pryde was there - for some strange reason, I really like her character, even though she's kind of a ditz in X-Men Evolution.

But honestly, the movie had quite a promising beginning, but quickly degenerated into something that was too shallow and too confusing, unlike the balance of eye-popping, gut-wrenching special effects and the quieter, more introspective side of things that was present in the first two films. I think Brett Ratnor brought into this is love of pyrotechnics and massively grand and orchestrated action sequences, but forgot the human element that was present under Bryan Singer's direction. (Speaking of Bryan Singer, saw the theatrical trailer of Superman during the showing, and I must say, I'm looking forward to Kevin Spacey as a bad guy in this one.)

Also saw The Da Vinci Code the other week at Gateway with Hiyas and it was...well...hmmm. I have no words.

Well, I do. I loved the historical re-imagining of What-Happened-If that the entire movie posed, and the theological questions it raised, but I honestly don't understand what the fuss was all about. As Sir Ian McKellen said in an interview with MSN Movies, "I'm very happy to believe that Jesus was married. And I know the Catholic church has problems with gay people, and I thought this would be absolute proof that Jesus was not gay." That is so true.

Of course, this comes from a man who wanted to have a love scene between Magneto and Xavier in the last X-Men movie.

And I'd like to believe that Catholics are quite confident in their faith that something as suspiciously shallow and badly-written as The Da Vinci Code won't really do much to hurt their faith. I mean, after all, the idea of Jesus and Mary Magdalene being husband and wife isn't a completely new one - this theory has been posed and debunked and questioned time and again that it's not even such a tabloid-worthy notion.

I mean, you don't hear the Muslims complain when they've been portrayed as the bad guys AGAIN in some Hollywood film, right? Or maybe you do, but you just don't choose to listen.

-----

I really, really, REALLy want to get back into writing again, and actually finish something that I can be decently proud of. Last week at SBC, I managed to bang out the drafts of a couple of poems that I may want to revise and send off, and managed write a few paragraphs' worth of stories. I think I have a lot of beginnings now. But perhaps one of the best suggestions I've had recently was from my boss/writing guru: "Why don't you try writing middles? Or endings?"

Hmmmm. There's a good challenge. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.