Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Different Kind of Wish List

So. Today, I submitted my resignation letter to my bosses. It wasn't like any of the resignation letters that I've read online, when I checked for templates and suchlike. I suppose it's because I don't really think I'm resigning as more of leaving because of circumstances. I don't know, "resigning" is such a strong word, and I've never really done this before.

So here is how mine read:

Dear Marc & Dean,

This is to inform you that I am officially resigning from the position of project manager at ----- effective July 7, 2006. This is due to the fact that I will be pursuing my Master’s degree in English Literature at the National University of Singapore beginning August 2006.

In light of this, I would also like to thank you for another kind of education, something that I would never have learned inside a classroom or an academic institution. This is the kind of learning that only kindness and patience can teach, and you have shown me that in abundance. In the short time that I have been here, I was lucky enough to meet people who have helped me grow and mature in ways I could never have imagined, and for that I am grateful. Thank you for throwing me at the deep end of the pool, and trusting in me enough that, despite several near-death experiences, I have managed to learn to swim on my own.

I hope that I have been able to make you proud.

Sincerely,

Gabriela Lee
Project Manager


There was this weird feeling when I finally finished it. I didn't want to go on and on and on, and be long-winded about it, but I also felt that I owed my bosses something more than a generic templated letter.

Also started to inform clients that I'll be leaving by the end of the month, and somehow, the entire situation is starting to sink in, and remind me that yes, this is something real and that life will move on, and that I will no longer be a part of this. And while there is relief (definitely lots and lots of relief), there is also a bit of nostalgia and sadness - whatever is happening here, my bosses are definitely doing the right thing, because they make it hard for us to leave.

Also applied for my Student's Pass already (the equivalent of a study visa in Singapore) online. It takes them 10 working days to process my application, and then I'll know if it's successful or not. Since I'm not a (known) criminal, hopefully everything will work out fine then. I'm slightly hesitant to write down so many particulars because I might suddenly slip and put down something that's inconsistent, and then I'm so screwed because these Singaporeans, they check everything. O_o

-----

I've also begun compiling a kind of wish list, things I want to do before I leave. Some of them are possible, I think, but others are just simply shooting for the moon. But still, here they are, in no particular order, the Top 5 Things I want before I leave:

1. Go to Divisoria. I am a sad, sad little girl. I've never actually been to Divisoria before. >_< I suppose it's because of circumstance - the people who keep on promising to bring me there keep on disappearing. Still, I would want to explore the place - if not for anything else, just to check EXACTLY how cheap the things are.

2. Get a library card at the National Library. I think it's only 30 pesos, right? The last time I was there was on official business, so there was no time to stop and smell the musty old books.

3. Watch the sun rise with friends. We used to do this when I was still a student at the university. I just miss hanging out with friends and talking about nothing, and maybe, just for the heck of it, visit the campus again.

4. Go to Davao and visit friends. Now this definitely falls into the "wish" category. But yeah, no matter how many times I complain that SM Davao is boring, the entire city holds good memories for me. Particularly the habal-habals.

5. Get the complete works of Damiana Eugenio and the Norton Anthology of Literary Criticism. Just because I have a feeling this will be valuable when I study. And because it will most prolly be cheaper here than in Singapore. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.