Sunday, October 01, 2006

The End of the Party

So it's the end of the mid-semester break and all I can show for it is...

*thinks back*

Well, apparently, not much. At least in terms of academics. O_o I presume that I will be panicking about several things in the next 48 or so hours just because I have yet to finish a couple of presentations - thank goodness for close readings - and plow through this week's readings. It's hard to believe October is just around the corner.

This week, for once, I found myself without much time at the flat: it was always going out with friends from school, or friends outside school - culminating in a midnight bar-hopping experience with Marissa and a couple of her friends, Rapti and Leonard, where we caught a local band, Douglas O and the Satellites, performing at La Baroque over at CHIJMES, whose lead singer looked like a cross between Mick Jagger and Neil Gaiman. Afterwards, we wanted to check out New Asia Bar over at the Swissotel, but it was already past three, and Singapore is still conservative enough to have the Saturday night life scene winding down after midnight. So instead, we trudged down to Clarke Quay to see what was going on, and despite the temptations of a 24-hour McDonalds', we instead trooped down to River Valley Road and settled into an open kopitiam with plates of prata and mee goring. I fell into bed just as the clock was pushing towards five in the morning, which basically means that we won't be going to salsa lessons today.

Oh well. It's all right - I don't even have the proper shoes yet.

Exchange of the night:

Marissa: (referring to the band) This reminds me of home.
Me: Reminds me of Manila, too.
Marissa: Well then, you must go to Sri Lanka and party with us.
Me: And then you can go to Manila and party with us.
Leonard: What are you girls talking about?
Marissa: Oh, we were discussing a cultural exchange program.

-----

I just realized it a few days ago that there seemed to be this simple transitional phase that went from being a semi-dependent to being this so-called independent girl who's living on her own in another city. It's such a diasporic cliche of what the new twentysomething goes through, and I just found it weird that I am living the cliche. And while people think that it's one of those dreams-come-true (which it is, in a sense), there is also quite a high price to pay for independence. And yes, I mean that literally and metaphorically.

But at the same time, I can't help but marvel at the fact that I am here, and that I am doing this grand adventure which I know will change me - for better or worse, but change me nonetheless - and will most probably affect all other decisions I will make in my life. And it's good to know that I am loved, in whatever form or fashion, and that there are people who care - it's also good to have a solid foundation. That way, whenever the shit hits the fan, there's always someone there to catch you when you fall.

(And wasn't that horrid? Mixed metaphors AND cliches, all in one sentence!)

-----

I have been drawing Justice for myself ever since I bought a new deck. It means balance. I suppose that's good.

Andrew, the World card came out again. But this time, I don't think it's referring to what it used to before. That can happen, right?

-----

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

OH, AND LOOKIE!

MY BOOKS ARE HERE!

*hugs books*

Oh, and Ginny: I got the soap and the meds already. Salamat, salamat. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.