Sunday, October 29, 2006

Turning Out My Pockets

It happening all over again. I just received my stipend this week and it's all starting to go out the window. I mean, after paying for rent and utilities, the bank account statement is just very disheartening. And I realize that once I got all these requirements right away, I have a tendency to spend on luxury items that I might not really need, but I know I really want - like new underwear (sigh) and a comic book. And that's it, really, but somehow I feel like I'm overspending. After all, tomorrow I have to do the groceries and buy my top-up card for my phone, and I'm just wondering if I can survive another month, and another...

Sigh. Living by myself can be so difficult.

-----

Watched The Prestige today with Marissa and Yeo Huan. It was absolutely gorgeous and stunning and such a dense, rich film. I loved the twists and turns, the duplicity of both characters and the ambiguities of their motives. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman both turned out amazing performances, and Michael Caine gave a masterful performance as Cutter. Even the bit players were on cue, and their characters were dead-on and Andy Serkis was there! Hee. What makes me sad is that I wish Piper Perabo and Scarlett Johanssen were given more meat in their roles, because their characters, particularly Scarlett as the magician's assistant Olivia, seemed too one-dimensional. However, despite all this, I think Christopher Nolan pulled another magical performance out of his hat of tricks. :)

I love stories like this. Full of twists and turns, matrioshka doll-like, stories within stories within stories. Complicated narratives amuse me to no end.

-----

November is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.