Friday, December 29, 2006

Recap: 2006

It's hard to believe that it's just two more days before 2007 finally arrives. There's a part of me that can't wait until we begin another revolution around the sun, but there's also a part of me that seemed to have aged considerably over the past year. In fact, it felt longer than 365 days, if you think about it. I don't know, but there's a part of me that feels like I've gone through an entire lifetime in the span of one calendar year.

2006 was known as a Year of Change, and certainly, there has been a number of upheavals that will always remind me that there is nothing constant in this universe. I've also managed to achieve a number of dreams, not the least of which is pursuing my master's degree abroad, and (at least temporarily) moving out of the house, and out of the country. It's also this year that I've learned the many dimensions of heartbreak - both real and imagined - and also of the quirky nature of desire and need. There is also that realization that nothing is sure, and even plans for the future can always be shelved for the needs of the present.

If there's one thing I learned about myself this year, it's about being capable. Capabilities that extend from a professional capacity, in what looks like my most enjoyable (and exhausting) jobs to date; to a creative capacity, in the sense that this is perhaps the longest time in which I have not written anything except for a story in January, and now, finishing a story in December, like bookends; to a personal capacity, in which I tested my tolerance for living in a new environment, and moving to an entirely new country in order to pursue my goals. I'm happy that things have developed to a certain degree when it comes to the romantic aspect of my life...well, okay, not really. But hey, at least I manage to control myself. ^_^

For next year, I'm praying that I find my center, that I am finally going to be confident with myself and my abilities as a writer, lover, friend. I'm praying that I learn to be happy, with or without a man in my life (though of course, the romantic in me would prefer that there is a man, haha). I'm praying that I shall be more productive: write more, work more, re-establish and cement my reputation as a professional of good standing. I'm praying for peace, internal and external, to learn how to protect myself without raising the emotional defensive wall any higher.

Look out 2007! Here I come! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.