Friday, February 09, 2007

Life Updates

This will probably go down as the semester that I've been getting sick all the time. Not that last semester was any easier, health-wise: there were bouts with the flu, and the infamous ankle-spraining incident early August.

Last week, I had to be rushed to the ER in the early morning because of a sudden and violent reaction to aspirin. And if that adventure wasn't enough, this week, I've been experiencing recurring headaches and nausea; a quick trip to the university clinic has informed me that I'm suffering from tension headaches. >_< I guess all that head-banging was bound to catch up with me eventually. Doctor says it's mainly stress, which is pretty unavoidable since I am a student and therefore prone to be stressed anyway. Especially with my Cultural Studies presentation looming over me like some kind of phantom plague.

-----

I've just realized that the story I've been working on right now for a Feb. 28 deadline is flat and stale. Which is something that bothers me. There's a lot of pretty turns of phrases and all, and I've realized that it CAN work, but there's just too many ideas buzzing in my head that refuses to let up in terms of where it can go. It doesn't help as well that there's a specific word count (3,500 max) which I really don't like since my comfort level is in the 5,000-7,000 word range. So it feels rather stifled and constrained, which is something I really don't want to deal with. The problem with ideas like these - like the one I'm working on now, which is a spec fic-y post-apocalyptic thing - is that they need more than 3,500 words to be properly told the way I tell stories...but I just don't have the luxury of time to throw it into the backburner and write a completely new one.

Speaking of writing, there's also the Short & Sweet Playwriting Competition that I'm eyeing right now. I figured, since I don't really write plays (my dialogue sucks rotten eggs) this would be a good challenge. It's a competition for ten-minute plays, based on the existing format of the S&S in Melbourne and Sydney. I attended the writing workshop for those who were interested in submitting to the contest, and it was quite helpful in terms of the technicalities and what to expect and how the entire thing works and we were also asked to pitch our ideas as well, and it's very encouraging to be told, "I think that's an excellent idea and we're looking forward to reading your script."

Of course, it doesn't help that the deadline for Short & Sweet is also on the 28th.

And then Ian just sent over the official rules and the entry forms for this year's Palancas...

-----

There's a part of me that's already wondering what I'm doing here, and why I'm pursuing this degree. It's not a productive or encouraging train of thought, particularly when I'd rather be in bed and watch TV rather than do my schoolwork. And it doesn't help that I'm well-versed in the art of procrastination, or that my headaches are becoming particularly bad during the afternoons, which makes me want to throw up, or to at least curl up on my bed with a cold compress and wait for the painkillers to kick in.

But ah well. Must soldier on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.