Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Prerequisite Valentines' Day Post

Yes, I like jumping on bandwagons.

I think I've come to an impasse when it comes to Valentines' Day. Granted, a part of me is jealous: after all, when you ride the MRT, you see all these couples wearing carefully coordinated clothes. In fact, the cool thing right now is for couples to wear matching shoes: I was told that there were even instances where there are couples who would purchase similar sneaker styles and, if they had similar shoe sizes as well, the girl would wear one red and one black sneaker, and the guy would wear one red and one black sneaker as well. Well, okay, that's more disturbing than anything else, but then, Singapore is a surprisingly flexible country when it comes to PDA (Public Displays of Affection). I've seen couples groping each other in full view in MRTs and bus queues, and a memorable instance when a Singaporean couple having a bit of tongue action outside the curb where a few friends and I were queued up for a cab.

But being jealous is tiring. And I have no time or energy to waste feeling sorry for myself.

I'd like to think of Valentines as a marketing scheme instead to raise the prices of hotel/motel rooms, of making unnecessary purchases or to buy up a year's stock of chocolates just to show that you care for someone...which is something you should be showing irregardless of what day it is. I mean, do we really need a day to be romantic, or to feel that someone cares for you and loves you? And for those who are single by choice or circumstance, are we really going to allow a day to dictate how we feel towards ourselves and towards the world in general?

So yeah, I do have a hot date for Valentines. Myself. And my friends. And we're going to go out and have fun. And you should, too.

Anyway, here's a lovely poem that I remembered from e.e. cummings. I read it before, and I might have posted it before. But it was the same poem that Cameron Diaz recited towards the end of In Her Shoes and I just remembered how dazzlingly beautiful it was. And it's a nice poem to share as well, whether between couples or between friends. So enjoy :)

i carry your heart with me
ee cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate, my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.