Thursday, March 08, 2007

Meme: One Book

Wah wah wah. From Gandalf:

1. One book that changed your life.

Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are. My mom is a big fan of Maurice Sendak's illustrations and storytelling capabilities, and I remember the first time I read this and went, "WOW!"

And then my childhood was the same again.

2. One book you have read more than once.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I was totally in love with the story, and was, once upon a time, able to recite the Rilke poem in my sleep.

3. One book you would want on a desert island.

The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. It's interesting enough to keep me occupied if I get depressed, and worse comes to worst, I can use the paper for kindling - the stock is thick enough to burn nicely (at least the editions coming out now).

EDIT: I was tempted to say The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, but it's not a singular book, but ten large volumes. Plus I don't think I would have had the heart to use it as fuel.

4. One book that made you laugh.

David Eddings' The Belgariad. I know the narrative was trite and predictable, but the dialogue and the situations were seriously funny. I think I got tears in my eyes the first time I went through the series.

5. One book that made you cry.

I'm torn between The Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Seriously. I cried when Gandalf and Dumbledore died. I was red-eyed for DAYS.

Yes, I'm a dork. We all know that. Old, venerable wizards' deaths make me burst out into tears.

I think I have an Old Wizard Complex.

6. One book you wish had been written.

Gandalf's first poetry collection. We're still waiting for it. ^_^

7. One book you wish had never been written.

Seriously? In The Castle of My Skin by George Lamming. No offense to those pro-Caribbean literature people, but seriously! I hated the damn thing. It just...did not have a point for me. And I managed to answer the exam questions without even finishing Chapter One. What does that
say?

I am eminently good at writing bullshit.

8. One book you are currently reading.

July's People by Nadine Gordimer. Because it's required for one of my classes. Sigh.

9. One book you have been meaning to read.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susannah Clarke. I seem to be rather unlucky when it comes to Ms. Clarke - I love the idea of her writing, but I have trouble reading her properly. I have yet to finish Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (which I bought back in 2004) and I haven't even cracked open this particular collection for about two months already.

Tagging: Dean, Vinnie, Elbert, Atsi Tin, Ginny, Sayuman

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.