Monday, April 09, 2007

The Countdown Begins

Holy Week in Singapore is, weirdly enough, not so significant. Even though the government acknowledges Good Friday as a national holiday and we all had the benefit of not going to class, the quiet that one usually associates with Lent isn't particularly pervasive. Of course, that may just have been me - I was stuck in the flat since the evening of Thursday, only managing to summon up energy to make a quick supply run (tissue paper, more paracetamol, and soup) at nearby Holland Village. I was sick for most of Holy Week - a case of the sniffles that quickly, monstrously transformed into a horrible bout of flu, including fever, chills, and a voice that can be classified as belonging to the bedroom. If only I had someone to practice it with.

And to top it all off, I was supposed to be working on a paper that's due tomorrow. Thankfully, it's done and it proved to be, by far, the easiest and most enjoyable paper I wrote this semester. Of course, since it was for poetry class, that goes without saying. ^_^

It's hard to believe I have less than a month to go before going back to the Philippines. Of course, Manila won't be my first stop - ma mere insists that I visit her in Davao first, and since she's the one paying for my tickets, one simply cannot refuse. I fly back, with a quick stop in Cebu, on May 6. To say that I am excited is an understatement; I am thrilled to go back home - Davao, Manila, wherever, as long as people speak in a language I can understand. Of course, there are still obstacles along the way - my final paper for the Cultural Studies module, and two exams. And of course, preparations for going home - packing, organizing my finances, cleaning up the room and locking things into place. Still, these are chores I'm looking forward to doing.

This semester has proved to be more difficult than the last one. There are financial problems, with the well continually running almost-dry; there are health problems - noticed that I've been sick almost every month? School has proved to be the only thing that was marginally manageable, if one can ever refer to graduate studies as such. Still, what doesn't kill you can make you stronger. And hey, last time I checked, I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.