Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Uncommon Courtesy

Remind me again why I have the romantic notions of a 17-year-old. Remind me again why I keep on looking for men in all the wrong places. Why I keep on expecting that there must be a good man somewhere for me. Remind me again why I let these people have so much power over me, why I suddenly expect something - even if it's something as simple as informing me a few hours earlier that you couldn't make it. I'm not even expecting flowers and chocolate, or a decent conversation. But please, at least inform me a couple of hours in advance so I don't have to make so much of an effort to be here in time, to look nice, to actually be excited to see you. It's not even anything of the romantic sort - it's just simply common courtesy...which apparently isn't so common after all.

I'm just tired. I'm at the point where I'm wondering what the point is of all of this, of why do I even bother with all these men when they can't even extend the same kind of courtesy that I do. Was I raised up differently? Did something happen in my upbringing that wasn't there for them? Or is our world right now so caught up in personal concerns that we forget how to deal with other people, that we forget that they're also human beings too? Or is it too much of an effort, even, that it's too much to lift a finger and dial a number, to borrow a colleague's cellphone, that it had to be when I get to the place, when I wait patiently, expecting you to arrive, and then realizing that it doesn't even matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.