Friday, August 17, 2007

Up, Over, and Underside

The first week of classes was exhausting, but I find myself beginning to be excited once again by the prospect of learning - yes, I'm a geek that way, and so are most of my friends, so it really doesn't matter. It feels like this semester is the heaviest - four modules, which translates to about 4 credits (or units) each - and an MA semester with 16 units is no mean feat. I still have one module to confirm - I'm switching from a media class to an American lit class, because it feels easier, and because the media people still hasn't confirmed my application (malabo sila!) but it seems like this is the best way to go. Still, I'll know by next week what the final list of modules are, and maybe figure out my schedule for the next four months.

For two of my modules, the Archaeology and Art of Ancient SEAsia and Text and Performance, there are weekly reports and critical readings. My brain is already twirling and spiralling with the number of new ideas and thoughts and concepts swimming inside my head - I feel like a sponge that's close to bursting point - and of course, there's the ISM, and I really have to crack my head on this one because the work is daunting, but exciting - defining and historicizing spec fic in the Philippines, my my - but hey, the material is rich and I know I'm contributing, in my own small way, to the academic body that is in bad need of new literature. The sense of wonder that I thought I had lost is starting to come back, and I can feel the hairs on my arms standing up in excitement and dread. Still, I'm crossing my fingers that I will survive this semester in one piece.

I told a friend of mine (was it you, Lor, or someone in the group?) that I would rather have a heavy workload but an uncomplicated and relatively straightforward personal life than the other way around. I'm glad I got rid of the clutter and drama in the past week - I need a clear head for the upcoming semester, and the books and photocopies are already piling up. ^_^

PS. I bought a webcam earlier, so hey people if you have Skype or YM, then we are in real time conversation again. Don't you just love technology?

No comments: