Friday, August 03, 2007

Written on the Plane

Not sure when I’ll be able to post this, but at least it’s something to do on the plane while waiting to get to Singapore. It’s approximately 10.30 PM and the cabin lights have been dimmed already. In an hour and a half, we’ll touching down at the Budget Terminal – and it’s really budget, given the decadent nature of Changi Terminals 1 and 2. It’s a full flight, and as plane rides go, this is fairly bumpy. I suppose it’s already the mark of a seasoned traverler that you’re pretty used to the ups and downs of being inside an aircraft, and I don’t even blink an eyelash anymore when the plane rolls from side to side.

Wow. They turned off ALL the lights. O_o It’s pretty dark already.

Anyway, so I really need to get my act together. It’s starting to sink in: vacation time is over and I really need to get cracking. No more emo – I must have exhausted my goodbyes sitting inside C’s car until three in the morning the day before, both of us not exactly willing to let the other go. It’s funny, how protracted our goodbyes can get. Now we’re back to the Internet – which should be all right, as it’s what we’ve been used to for the longest time.

I can see the lightning from where we are. Apparently, we’re riding into a storm. It’s like watching a flickering negative film: everything is stark and illuminated for seconds, lights flashing in response, like clockwork.

There’s a baby crying somewhere in the front of the plane. I wonder how the pilots must feel, going through the storm at night. Are they used to this thing? Do they compare stories, the way soldiers compare war wounds?

The plane rises and falls like a lullabye.

I’m really worried about my Internet connection when I get back because I’m not sure if I still remember the flat’s configurations – I really hope that things will move smoothly, because I want to get things done. I don’t want to waste my last semester – I have just four more months to give this the best that I can, and I need to stay on top of things. I must admit there’s a part of me that’s glad to be busy, because at least I don’t end up missing people and places so much. In my mind, I’m already calculating my budget and figuring out the groceries for next week; I need to do so many things at the flat and at school and at work, so there’s really no space – thankfully. I’m sure that if I didn’t keep myself busy, I’d fall apart at the seams.

No comments: