Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Master Procrastinator

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So this is the amount of reading I have to do every week. See the scary stack of books at the corner? That's just for ONE subject. Lesson learned: do not take your MA if you're looking for a vacation. This is not something you sail through with your eyes closed. This is not a vacation. This is not the kind of work that you go through from nine to five; this is something that goes through your head every single minute of every single day.

Still, it's mid-September tomorrow, which means that everything is moving faster than I expected. I still have to write my reaction paper for Thursday's class and look for one last article for aforementioned reaction paper, but I have a feeling I'll be able to pull off an all-nighter tonight for work, which means that hopefully I'll be scot-free and be able to focus on school - which, as C. reminded me earlier, should be my first priority.

Of course, in the interest of procrastination, I'm writing a needless blog entry. Yay me!

I miss reading for fun, for inspiration. Everything that seems to pass through my hands has something to do with school - sometimes as painfully obvious as speed-reading through something entitled Sriwijaya: History, Religion, and Language of an Early Malay Culture for Thursday or simply breathing in every word of White Noise by Don DeLillo (it's a good novel) for my Cold War Texts class, which is due next week. It's depressing that the last thing I read that wasn't for school was Fables: Homelands - which I rushed through during the hour-long rest period Atsi Tin, Johann, and I took during their visit here. I swear, I am so buying books that I want to read when my stipend comes along.

Anyway, in the interest of being self-centered, here are seven random facts about me (a meme going around, you know, like a bad cold):

1. I started writing properly at twelve. And it was fan fiction. And it was about the Backstreet Boys. (Shame, shame!) And of course, this embarassment perpetuated itself until junior year in high school. Of course, my friends wholeheartedly encouraged me to write - I used up reams of yellow pad and loads of blue ballpoint pens, since everything was written in longhand - probably because I placed them in the stories as characters.

2. In grade school, what I wanted to be when I grew up was largely influenced by television shows. In fifth grade, I wanted to be a marine biologist because of SeaQuest DSV. In seventh grade, I wanted to be a forensic pathologist because of The X-Files. When I stepped into high school, things changed.

3. Despite the fact that I am a literature student and everything that that entails, I have never really read canonical English literature unless they were required in class. I've tried to rectify that problem time and again, but to no avail. The only exception is canonical children's literature in English - but that's because they're fun and they don't take themselves too seriously.

4. I fell off a motorcycle at seventeen, flipped over, and smashed my right arm. I had to be in a cast for two weeks, but I decided to remove the damn thing after a week because I couldn't take a bath properly. My right ring finger and little finger healed a bit crookedly though.

5. I take my coffee with milk and sugar if I'm in a coffee shop; otherwise, I take it with just milk at home.

6. I love hugs! I'm a hug junkie. Hugs are the best things in the world, hands down.

7. I once wrote a novella in under 48 hours without sleeping. I was eighteen and competetive, and although it never got published, it's a nice feeling to know that I'm capable of doing such things.

No comments: