Sunday, September 16, 2007

Week Six

Technically supposed to be reading for this week's classes, but a break might be in order. It's rather difficult to actually be able to focus for so long when your mind is constantly rolling with a lot of things that require doing.

So tonight, I'm reading for the ISM, just to get it out of the way. This week, after wrestling with a suitable definition of speculative fiction based on historio-critical writings, we get to focus on trends in Philippine literature, particularly the short story. I find it rather interesting that most of what gets written under the banner of spec fic is in the form of the short story, as opposed to novels or the epics (is it possible to write spec fic as an epic poem, for example?) and of course, the state of the modern short story as it is drummed into us in writing classes. It gets to be a more politicized view, from the looks of it, since a lot of the writins tend to focus on the English language and the Americanization of our "national literature".

Tomorrow is Library Day: I need to print out the readings for Tuesday's TS class, get my readings for the Thursday class, meet my groupmates by lunchtime to discuss said TS class (despite the fact that I have no idea what we're going to be talking about, whee!) and rush through my readings for Monday's class. Evening might be spent with cousins here in Singapore, which should be a good thing. Tuesday should have some time watching the film clip we're required to see (ahaha) and start reading for Thursday's class, so at least I don't have to rush so much. Thursday is deadly, because I need to be prepared for the ISM meeting (notes! notes!) and the Archaeology class, which means I will spend the morning rushing through the reaction paper again, sigh.

At least Friday should be quieter - it's the start of the mid-semester break for me, which means that we get a one-week break that marks the middle of the semester. Bringing Justine to the airport in the evening, and doing the laundry and I'm hoping to be able to do a bit of cleaning up as well. The weekend will have to be spent writing for CIDA, since our deadliest deadline is on the 25th, and I want to get it out of the way before the break really starts. And then -- yay of yays, C. will be here!

*ticks off the days* We have one week and one day to go. And we're both insanely excited.

No comments: