Saturday, October 27, 2007

Random Thoughts on Halloween

You know it's Halloween when you run into chinky-eyed girls wearing dark eyeliner and lacy underthings that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. I mean, personally, I totally forgot that this was the week people dressed up as Gothic creatures or some pop culture icon and paraded down the streets like there's no tomorrow. It feels like walking into a surreal film: stormtroopers and Darth Vader rubbing elbows with girls in frilly French maid uniforms and geishas in wooden clogs outside the brightly lit neon lights of the nearest 24-hour McDonalds.

I can't believe that next week is November already - barely six weeks before I go back home. This time last year, I was counting down the days, my skin literally crawling with excitement at the thought of going back home. Tonight, after parting ways with Aloysius (we watched an advanced screening of Stardust at the Cathay Cineleisure), I found myself taking an unfamiliar bus going to City Hall. I alighted at Bras Basah Road, just after the Singapore Art Museum, and started walking. The city was brightly lit with orange halogen lamps, small suns balanced on ornate iron poles. And then it struck me: This city was as familiar to me as the back of my hand. I didn't have to consult street signs anymore, or carry around the annual bus guide - I pretty much knew where I was, and could navigate by landmarks and familiar side streets. The thought was both hilarious and comforting - that the city that I lambasted so much could feel so strangely comforting.

A friend once told me that you know things are going the way they are supposed to when things start falling into place. And while I am hesitant to point this out, for fear of assuming too much, I'd like to think that things are falling into place in the most unexpected and exciting of ways. But I do not remember feeling so calm before, and so confident of how the universe wants things to go, and maybe this is faith, or human hubris, or something larger than who I am and what we are, but I am glad that quietly, carefully, things are falling into place.

(I just hope I don't regret anything in the near future.)

No comments: