Sunday, January 20, 2008

And Another One Bites the Dust

Ew. I'm turning 24 in a week's time. Ew ew ew.

I've always thought that once you hit 24, you're now officially considered an adult. Never mind what the age of consent is - you're excused from doing mature things before you're 24. I think it's also partly because my mother got married at 24, so I can't help but think, "Homaygash, at this age, my MOTHER was tying the knot!" *facepalm*

Of course, all comparisons aside, it just feels a bit strange that now I don't have an excuse (haha) to act all foolish and childish and all that - "24" has a grand ring to it, an age where you're supposed to know where you're going and what you want to do in your life. Not to say that theory is equal to real life - we all know how many 24-year-olds are still in college, are college drop-outs, people who don't know which way the wind is blowing. Of course we all know that. But somehow, there's something quite mature about being able to say, "I'm 24 years old." Wowza.

And of course, for the next nine months, The Boyfriend will probably be teasing me about the generation gap between him and me (never mind that I was born in 1984 and he was born in 1985). O_o

But still, if living for 24 years on this earth means that I have that many experiences behind me to influence the choices that lie ahead, and if this means that now the world opens up to me like a giant lotus flower, then I don't mind being a year older. I'd rather enjoy being myself, whatever the age, and enjoy being who I am, despite everything - or maybe I should say, inspite of everything. After all, life isn't dictated by the number of candles on a birthday cake, or the kind of wishes you throw to the wind.

-----

On a materialistic note, I still don't know how I want to celebrate my birthday. Of course, given extremely limited funds and the fact that the salary arrives after the end of the month, it doesn't help that I am scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel in order to make ends meet. Haha. I don't even think I can treat myself to anything for that day. O_o I'd like to see my friends here, since I haven't seen most of them since they got back, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Somehow, being in school and being in a professional environment seems light years away now. :-( Ah well. One more week to decide which way anything, everything goes.

No comments: