Thursday, January 03, 2008

First Day at Work

This is probably the earliest I've ever been awake, not counting days when I had to catch early-morning flights and/or exams. Work starts at 9 AM and I'm slightly nervous.

No, amend that: I'm extremely nervous. The only other time I remember being this nervous was for my presentation for my Cultural Studies class two semesters ago, when I was talking about autobiography and the graphic novel, and I had to talk for 30 minutes. I don't quite remember what happened that day, but my classmates found me funny (well, they laughed at my jokes) and Gene said I did a good job, so I guess it wasn't that bad. But right now, I don't even have Marissa or Shailaja to bother and expend all this extra energy on. Gah.

The refridgerator situation isn't so good still - I re-cleaned the appliance yesterday, armed with new yellow rubber gloves, Mister Mighty Mold and Mildew Remover, soap and water, and Glade. I still found a nest of maggots (shudder) hidden in an alcove where one of my flatmates forgot to remove, and the smell of spoiled meat still lingers in the air. I've taken to leaving the windows open, despite the fact that the wind is just crazy and rain enters the laundry area, but really, it's just to make sure the place is aerated and all that. And yeah, I was doing all that yesterday, right after my visit to the doctor. Turns out this entire thing was a severe form of asthma and he immediately made me nebulize - something I haven't done since I was in high school. I had forgotten how nebulizing makes one high and woozy, so I was going back to the flat with my heart thudding in my chest and alternating between sleepiness and perkiness. O_o So now I'm on a new inhaler aside from the Ventolin one - this one, Seretide, is both for controlling my asthma as well as something to take when I'm having an attack. I have to take two puffs twice a day, and it doesn't taste like chalk in my mouth, so I suppose it's slightly better. I have yet to feel the effects though.

Okay I'm babbling.

I'm just hoping this job works out. They were kind enough to let me not come in yesterday because of the asthma, so at least I got a day's reprieve. And the job is something I'm familiar with: project management in a small ad agency, so at least it's not new territory. And I'm thankful they hired me just before I left for Manila, so that I had a secure position when I came back. And the office seems cosy and comfortable, and the people - at least the ones I've spoken to - seem kind and fun. But still. I want to make a good impression on my first day. Obviously I've never worked abroad before; the rules are different, and I'm just hoping and praying that whatever Dean and Marc and Kestrel had taught me, I still remember after a year and a half of grad school, and oh God, just please, don't let me make an utter fool of myself.

No comments: