Monday, January 21, 2008

Various Facets of a Life

- Work is...interesting. Projects are piling up, and there are pitches to prepare for. But one particular campaign, though daunting, is really exciting and I want us to get this. ^_^ I'm crossing my fingers that the creative team's ready for this and that they're also as enthusiastic as I am.

- Currently reading (and concurrently at that) The Boleyn Inheritance and Antonia Fraser's The Six Wives of Henry the XIII. I'm now incredibly into the Tudors and especially these six women who have defined, at one point or another, the history of England. And while Philippa Gregory's portrayal of Anne Boleyn was quite different from historical accounts, the motivations for her actions are equally fascinating. And of course, I have a soft spot for Mary Boleyn who, despite historical accounts questioning her sexual proclivities, still defied conventions of courtly behaviour by marrying the man she loved. I'm so looking forward to the film adaptation of The Other Boleyn Girl - and of course, it helps that Eric Bana as a young and dashing Henry is quite easy on the eyes. Addendum: According to Bespren Jilly, he also plays another Henry - Henry DeTamble, the disheveled librarian and one half of my most favoritest couple in literature, from Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife. ^_^ Also waiting on my bookshelf are Frank Beddor's The Looking Glass Wars (to be read concurrently with the original Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland), Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner, and Lakambini Sitoy's latest short story collection, The Jungle Planet and Other Stories. One good thing about being out of grad school is that I can now read voraciously, and read whatever I want.

- I want a copy of Grey's Anatomy Season 3. It's so difficult to follow it on TV, whether on Mediacorp Channel 5 or on Star World, and I'm totally lost and now that Season 4 is just midway through (Episode 12, right?) so it's the best time to catch up. And of course, it's chockfull of goodies as well. ^_^ And agh, Avatar: The Last Airbender is also on its third season and of course I have no idea what happened since the Earth Kingdom fell. Sadness and sorrow. Still, there's American Idol 7 to look forward to, yay! Wednesday and Thursdays, here I come!

- We watched Cloverfield yesterday and it's an exceptional film, although I do suggest that if you're either easily nauseated or claustrophobic, it might not be the best thing to watch for you. But seriously, the concept and execution is flawless and for a monster film (and you know I don't watch monster films), it's really good and clever and postmodern and so Baudrillard, haha. ^_^ Also looking forward to Sweeney Todd and The Dark Knight and Iron Man and weirdly enough, the Stephen King film, The Mist, just for sheer concept value. And then there's My Blueberry Nights, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Atonement, and Persepolis. And of course, we discovered a small cinema just down Beach Road that shows Bollywood films, so The Boyfriend is quite pleased and I'm looking forward to absorbing a new way of looking at cinematic narrative. ^_^

- After 12 years, Rent is closing down on June 1. :-( Now I'm compiling my scattered playlist of the original Broadway cast (yay for a lesbian Idian Menzel taking off her pants in "La Vie Boheme") and dumping it on my iPod in honor of the entire thing, since now my lifelong dream of seeing Rent on stage in New York seems totoally shot. They could have waited for a couple more years, you know. :-(

- One and a half paragraphs in an afternoon. God, I just need time.

No comments: