Saturday, February 02, 2008

Tectonic Shifts

I guess it comes as no surprise that I'm terribly unhappy with my job. The pay is extremely low for the amount of work I do, as well as the position I was given - and people who know me know that I rarely quibble about cash. So when I tell you that the pay is low, seriously: the pay is low. And the working environment is something that I'm not quite happy with: my officemates, for the most part, are people I can get along with just fine, but my boss is really driving me nuts. He reminds me of my father - except that it's all my dad's bad traits, and none of the good, and there are days when I just want to hit my head against the wall in frustration. I'm doing the work of two or three people and I get paid barely enough for one - it's enough to piss me off even as I type this. O_o The poor Boyfriend has to deal with my terrible terrible mood swings as I try to cope with this unhappiness: I'm not doing what I really want to do, I'm doing too much, and I'm not getting paid enough.

So of course, The Boyfriend is encouraging me to look for a new job. The thing is, my concerns usually stem from the fact that I have only been in this job for a month and I sincerely want to give it a chance. But I just can't see myself following this track, and I can't see myself being happy in this position. People keep on telling me that it's a learning experience and all of that, but I can't help but think that this is just too similar to my job in Kestrel a couple of years back, without any of the positive things that I remember associating with that job, so it becomes such a bother instead of a learning experience. And more and more, I realize that I will be happier in an academic environment, that I really do want to try my hand at teaching and I know, in my heart of hearts, that I will be happier there. The challenges of teaching are definitely in my head, but at the same time, I know that teaching is something that's in my blood (damn growing up in UP!) so...I guess I really want to give it a shot.

So there. I'm contemplating a job shift soon. This stupid little advertising agency is driving me insane.

No comments: