Saturday, May 10, 2008

Escaping their Evil Clutches

The first week of work can be summed up in three words: Massive. Information. Overload. I have taken around to toting a notebook around every time someone is trying to teach me something about the system - and I have to be careful about the system because pressing the wrong button might result in catastrophe. I am now more thankful than ever that I have been blogging since the beginning of time (almost 6 years now) because I had to learn manual HTML and this job requires typing out codes. I am also now starting to even be more anal about my writing because writing for web is different from writing for school, or for articles, or even copy. It's an entirely different ballgame, and with such an age-specific target audience, you really have to strike the balance between correct (British) English and a light, conversational tone. So now a lot of turns of phrases that I'm used to and the general tone of the writing has to change a LOT, because this is something I've never done before, but at least I am finally getting my hands wet.

But I really, REALLY like this job. I like the product and what it does, I like the way things are run in the office, and I enjoy the company of my colleagues. I do not have a boss whose sentence structures I don't understand, who constantly peers over my shoulder and asks me what I am doing, and who gives me really pointless instructions. I do not have to worry about someone reading my email without me knowing it, who has access to my computer files without me being aware of it, and who does not tolerate being friends with your colleagues because he's paranoid of an uprising happening. (Seriously, this happened!) I like the fact that I am challenged with the position, that I am learning something new, and I do not have to spend the entire day counting down the minutes before 6:00 PM because I want to get out as fast as possible.

They (the old office) finally gave me the termination letter to have my work permit cut, and that was probably the most relieved day of my life. Because Singapore is such a stickler for rules, and my entire argument for leaving the old office was because of the rules, I didn't want to start anything official with the ne wjob until they had cut my work permit. Of course, the boss sat down with me and told me that I was still in breach of contract, blah blah blah, and that they were letting me go out of the goodness of their hearts. I wanted to laugh at that point in time. Please. I do not owe them anything, especially not their charity. It was definitely a case of in one ear and out the other.

And even though the queues at the MOM was long and crazy (there were 200 people before my number was called), I sat through the entire three hours, waiting for my turn, because I just wanted that stamp on my passport and to follow due process in getting my new employment pass. And now I'm just crazily thankful that the universe is being kind - despite whatever worries I have now, with zeroes sitting in my bank account like eggs waiting to hatch, I am just thankful that I am out of the clutches of That Evil Office and that I can get on with my life.

No comments: