Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Meme: Looking Back

A meme from chilibreath over at LiveJournal. Anyone who wants it can have it. :)

Fifteen years ago I...


...was 9 years old and in second third grade at all-girls Catholic institution. I sat in the third seat of the third row. I was in III-Topaz, and my cousin Camila was in III-Brilyante. I would play jackstones and agawan base with my cousins during recess. A small cup of Snowie from the first floor canteen cost Php5. I discovered the grade school library and must've plowed through half of the original Nancy Drew series, and the first book I ever read from that series was "The Mystery at Mirror Bay". I also discovered Sweet Valley Twins and Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield became my role models until I finished grade school.

Ten years ago I...

...was 14 and in first year high school. I hated my hair and I thought I was alternating between too fat and too thin. I got my first training bra. I was applying for The Magnificat (the school newspaper) and I was one of three freshmen who got to the final round. I was the only one accepted into the club. I was shy and gawky and unsure of myself. Taking up a summer theatre program changed all that. Oh, and I was well into the Backstreet Boys by this time and writing fanfiction.

Five years ago I...

...was 19 years old and in my junior year in college. I had my first boyfriend and got into my third (and last) national writers' workshop in Dumaguete, where I experienced the joys and sorrows of my chosen craft. I remember the sea overlooking the Boulevard and crazy nights with James and Marie, buying cruisers at the nearest 24-hour convenience store and being stranded at Bohol for two days because there were no ferries traveling from island to island. I met Ginny, my super big sister, who introduced me to the miracles of a good haircut and fantastic massage. I experienced my first heartbreak and my first spiral into depression. I learned that I trusted people too much. I may have had a lot of sex.

Two years ago I...

...was 22 years old and working for a small ad agency that I loved to bits and pieces. I started shifting my focus from poetry to fiction. My second relationship ended and, at the same time, I got accepted into NUS. I decided to leave the country and regain my focus for the craft - which didn't exactly turn out that way, but it was a good decision nonetheless. It was the first time I lived on my own.

One year ago I...

...was 23 years old and thought that I was going back home, but then I fell in love.

Yesterday I...

...installed World of Warcraft into my computer, and watched the old gag reels of The X-Files.

Today I...

...had a lovely dinner at Makansutra and an equally lovely dessert at 2 AM: Dessert Bar.

Tomorrow I...

...need to write more articles and run a game. Oh, and purchase my ticket for SingFest '08!

Next week I...

...intend to clean my room. As in really clean my room.

Next year I...

...hope to be pushing forward and not looking back; to be preparing my portfolio for another school I want to enter; to be the person I really want to be.

No comments: