Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Mother's Visit to Singapore



Everyone, meet my mother. She's very strange, but apparently a lot of my friends think she's cool, which may be another synonym for strange. ^_^

I guess I wasn't really able to blog during the time she was here, and then the week after, I had a lot of catching up at work to do, so major blogging backlog these days.

I've always had a fairly amiable relationship with my mother, since she's quite easy to get along with, has the best stories and gives the best advice, and just generally finds a lot of things me and my siblings do quite amusing. This can either be good or bad, depending on how you want to look at the situation. More often than not, we run to her when we need money, practical advice, or just someone to go shopping with (and pay for our things, haha!). I've grown to like living with my mother, especially when I lived in Davao for a year when I was going to school in the boondocks of UP Mindanao (where she's still working, this time as Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences).

Anyway, so I was quite pleased that she was able to come here to attend my graduation. I guess it's not often that a mother gets to attend her daughter's graduation TWICE, and while I know that she's amazingly proud of me, she also keeps my head quite level by reminding me about the stupid things I've done when I was younger. ;) Spending time with her was quite amusing, even though I hadn't seen her for more than six months prior, and it seemed to easy to just slip back into old habits that your mother knows and takes in stride.

It also helps that my mom is probably one of the easiest people in the world to get along with, and that she's pretty much game for anything and everything in the world...as long as it doesn't involve heights. Two years ago, when we were in Hongkong and had to ride a cable car, we ended up praying to God while clutching in fear at the centre pole of the cable car. Needless to say, my brother and sister were highly amused.

Next time though (if there is a next time), I'd love it if my entire family can come along and see Singapore. I'd love to see my brother and sister here, and just go crazy with the things they can do here. While I've never been particularly struck with a painful bout of homesickness, there are moments when I feel like I'm living between two worlds, and that my memories sometimes merge that it ends up feeling like I'm going to Ortigas as I'm walking out of my flat, or that I can go from Megamall to Vivo City just by riding a cab. I'm still waiting to see where I can go from here, and I'm curious to see what kind of life I'll be leading.

But right now, I'm just happy that my mom's visit went off without a hitch (she loved the hotel I chose, and she was quite pleased with the array of art materials we managed to get for my grandmother), and that all in all, I loved the time I got to spend with her.

No comments: