Saturday, July 19, 2008

Then Vs Now

Three out of five days last week, I ended up staying at the office later than usual (read: anytime after 8PM). There's definitely a lot of things to do over there, but I can't help but feel a little sparkle of pride whenever I accomplish a task or if I don't fudge things up too badly - like HTML taggies or a clever phrasing here and there. And I was really pleased (read: beaming!) when my immediate superior left a Post-It on my desk thanking me for all the articles I had written and generally being helpful. LOL.

I can't help but compare this to my last job - I spent most of the day surfing the Internet, updating myself on the latest Hollywood gossip, or chatting up a storm with my friends on YM. I barely did any work, because there was a definite lack of things coming my way, and while there were days when I could barely breathe because of the amount of tasks I had to accomplish, I felt no pride in doing them. I never felt supported by my (ex-) bosses; on the contrary, I felt that they completely missed the point and were themselves confused as to why they hired me in the first place. And to be honest, I never felt like I was learning anything new in that office, or that they were using me to the best of my abilities. I was quite happy to leave that place.

Here, I'm quite happy to be doing what I'm doing. It's quite difficult to explain what it is precisely, but I do think it suits most of my abilities and knowledge perfectly. it's a rather weird sort of storytelling compounded with a bit of this and a bit of that. It's not quite teaching, and I'm still harbouring dreams of being able to stand in front of a UP Diliman (how specific!) classroom and being a teacher, but for the moment, this is something totally unexpected and something I'm quite grateful that I managed to get. I'm hoping from this point onwards, things are just going to be looking up. :)

No comments: