Wednesday, February 08, 2012

wherein the door is opened once more

So... well. Hello. I'm back.

It reminds me of the scene in The Return of the King where Sam comes back from the Grey Havens after seeing Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel, and may of the High Elves board the ships to Valinor, and he comes back to Hobbiton and to Rosie and Elanor and, you know, all these things that happened to him, all these grand and frightening and terrible and wonderful things happened to him and all he can say is, "I'm back."

And that's where I am now, too.

I suppose I should give reasons for my absence. After all, the last time I wrote here was in 2008, and that was three years ago. That was a conscious hiatus. I didn't feel like I needed to take time off from blogging. Unlike many others who use this platform to promote products or to earn money, I did it as an exercise in remembrance. But in 2008, I had a boyfriend and a job that didn't allow me to talk about them in such a public forum.

In 2012, neither the boyfriend nor the job is there, and I think I can breathe a bit easier for it.

So here we are now: tethering on the edge of something quite undefinable. So before we begin, I suppose I should talk a bit about why I'm back here.

1. I want to remember. To be quite honest, I barely remember the day-to-day minutiae and lives and loves that I've experienced in the three years being on hiatus. The Internet itself has changed and morphed into a world that is a lot less kinder, that is a lot more public, and obviously you can't write about such sensitive issues here without touching some kind of nerve. So that's the job: to figure out how to tread the fine line between public and private, between remembrance and forgetting.

2. I want to be disciplined about writing. Given the choice, I would just want to stay at home and do nothing else but eat chips and watch TV. But as a functional adult, I can't do that. I have responsibilities that need attending. And I don't want to let that fall at the wayside. Furthermore, I want this to be a space where I can start being creative again, leaving behind seeds that could potentially transform into stories and poems and things that I can be proud of.

3. I like talking about myself. Yup, it's rather self-centered and egotistic, but hey, writing is the best medium for giving form to what is otherwise a nebulous concept or confused issues inside one's head. It helps me be more self-aware as well, and to work through things that I otherwise would leave to fester inside my mind. And furthermore, it's not like YOU are required to read everything I write about.

If you're looking for my other spaces on the Internet, the best place to start is at the About.me page, which links out to everything else. My Twitter is sometimes locked, sometimes unlocked, but really it's just a place where I can communicate with my friends, both IRL and online. Tumblr is for fandom-related things, so be warned - there will be a lot of Doctor Who, weird memes, and pretty pictures. Pinterest, much like a scrapbook, is for reminding me that there is still a lot of beauty in the world.

So hello! If you're new here, welcome to my oldest and most favorite place on the Internet, my blog. If you're visiting from long before, you know how I work. If you want to know more about me, there are always archives, and I'm all over the Internet like a limpet.

Hope you stick around. This is gonna be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.