Friday, July 12, 2013

A month in

So the semester's off to a good start, barring perhaps just one student in one class. (Which shall not be named, and shall not be spoken, at least not here in a public place on the Internet.) I was privileged with handling a creative writing majors class this sem for Writing For Children, though I'm not sure if that's because I think like a child or that seems to be the direction of my specialization in the department. (I'd like to think it's the latter.) So far, I've been quite lucky because I have an enthusiastic class who seems to be willing to go along with the crazy things I make them do, who seems to enjoy reading books for children, and who are generally just good and decent people.

I've also been trying to figure out how to start working on my tenure lecture, because my research interests seems to have a tendency to diverge from one thing to another. In general, I know I want to do something on young adult lit and spec fic, but I'm not sure where and how the two intersect and where there's a gap where I can fit myself in. I'm aware that neither are particular modes of literary interest for most people, but I find that these are fields I am interested in, both as a writer and as an academic, and I'd like to figure out what I can do here.

I also have to step up my literary production in terms of submitting to publication and actually compiling a manuscript for publication. I know that I should be faster, but here's the thing: I'd rather put out something that, at least, in terms of quality, I can stand by it and I know that I've thought it out and that in the future, I am still proud of that work. And while I believe in revision and in the writer's prerogative to change things if necessary, I also know that once I put something out, I would want it to stay that way.

Which means I really have to write. Ugh.

Aside from these things, life is on a pretty even keel. I've got books to read and movies to watch and TV shows to catch up with and a boyfriend who makes me incredibly happy. I guess that's not a bad thing, isn't it? Drama is so overrated, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment box. It is for comments. Please do not leave your Giant Squid of Anger here.